Thursday, August 11, 2016

Back where we started

A lot has happened since I was last on here.

For a start, I'm now free of the financial and social obligations of owning old noisy Japanese cars.



I had owned this car for more than a decade, and it was the pinnacle of all my most childish dreams of owning a car, and a total gamble purchase where at the time a reasonable sum of money was sent overseas based purely on viewing 3 images on Yahoo Auctions.

Having spent the last 10 years hiding under car covers with promises of repairs and paint that never came, a new challenger appeared, ready to restore the car to all of its juvenile glory.



Another car that had been with me for what felt like an eternity, and one that had taken so much money off me, it was hard to know how to feel about it. Likely the product of years of Option videos and Hyperrev catalogues, this car was almost everything that I wanted it to be. ALMOST.

After many long nights wondering where it would all stop, and if the car would ever be finished, I decided it was time to go. The car was picked up at a relative bargain price by a friend, so it's still around, it's just not my problem any more.

With all these gaps appearing in my life, I had to pick up some new stuff to fill in the blanks, and a new fridge and washing machine just wouldn't cut it.



A combination of peer pressure and a desire to get healthier resulted in the purchase of a somewhat second hand Trek Emonda. A brand new frame with some outdated but still functional running gear, used by me to flail around the neighbourhood sweating and dying. Turns out you can spend a lot of money getting all kitted out to ride a bicycle, and who doesn't love spending money on things?

With another friend going through a similar "out with the old and in with the new" process, I was offered the opportunity to pick up this:



A 2012 Toyota 86 GTS.

It's had some money spent on it in the right areas, making it fun to drive, whilst avoiding any negative attention. It's also cheap as hell to run.

It's really nice owning a car that functions and doesn't require any real effort. It's brought a lot of fun back into driving car for me, and I can see some long driving holidays in the near future.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment